Saturday 18 May 2013

Update/Revision to Cheesecake Recipe

So the other day, I wanted to make "cheesecake" again. I was just going to follow the original recipe that I had posted since I was satisfied with the previous outcomes. I had also bought a 9 " springform pan recently and this would be the second time using it....apparently I don't know how to use it properly (For those of you who don't know what a springform pan is, here is a picture of what it looks like. As I had mentioned in my previous post, it is definitely a worthy investment. I bought one from Fresh Co for $9.99. It's much easier to release the cake from this pan because the sides can detach from the base.)

Anyways, continuing with my sad story - after pressing the graham cracker crumbs and margarine paste against the bottom of the pan to form the base, I lifted the pan from the sides to place it in the oven. And halfway to the oven, the base detached from the sides and ALL the cracker crumbs spilled to the ground. Worse yet, the crumbs were mixed with margarine so after cleaning the mess, the floor was oily and slippery. Oh Joyce, why are you so clumsy?? 

So there goes the base. Grudgingly, I was about to start over again when I realized I didn't have enough cracker crumbs to make a second base! That was going to be the end of my world when it suddenly occurred to me that I should consult the all-knowing internet before losing hope. That was how I found an amazingly simple way to make a cheesecake base without using graham crackers. In fact, it tastes better! (Well, in my opinion at least)

So here it is:


1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix 1.5 cups of multi-purpose flour (I had used cake-flour but it shouldn't matter), 1 egg, 1/3 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 cups of margarine in a pan.

3. Press the mixture against the bottom of the pan to form the base.
4. Using a toothpick, poke holes throughout the base- this would allow steam to exit when put in the oven. Otherwise, the base may form a dome shape at the center.  

5. Bake in the oven until golden brown... (sorry, I forgot to time myself...)

Then you can continue with step 5 of the recipe on my original post.

So if you ever run out of graham cracker crumbs (cuz gravity happily pulled it to the ground), then try this out! I actually prefer this base than the original. Anyways, that's the end of my little update. Talk to you later ~


No comments:

Post a Comment