Tuesday 23 April 2013

A 5 Am Poem

Dreams and reality may not align,
goals in life are just not met.
Reflections are tainted in shades of blue,
eyes are obscured by a haze.
Present and future may seem too bleak,
incompetency stabs the fragile heart.
Tears may trickle behind the mask,
emotions choked back until they burst.


-But-

Sadness and distraught will reach its peak,
despair would be no more.
Turns in events will have to occur,
abysses do have an end.
Hopes and aspirations may yet be reached,
but life will carry on.

Acceptance precedes the recollection,
recollection precedes new hope.
Strength and passion will resurface,
light will pierce the dark.
Things may not happen as expected,
but life's not worth living if they did.

Twists and turns lead to new terrains,
achievements beyond your dreams.
Dignity and fulfillment will be attained,
detours won't define your worth.
Goals are certainly set to be reached,
but please don't fret if detours are made.

Struggles and failures will become memories -
wisdom that grows with time.


At 5 am, I simply could not sleep. I hadn't drank coffee for a while and a small cup from the afternoon had kept me awake through the night; perhaps I should drink my coffee in the morning now? Anyways, I don't usually write poems, nor do I read poems. Most of this just came to me at 5 am when I couldn't sleep. Haha...what an odd night. I thought I would share this because I know a few people around me are going through some rough times. Hopefully this can be a source of encouragement!




PS. It's not titled A 5 am Poem because I wrote it at 5 am. Care to hazard a guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment